Saturday, February 16, 2008

Favorite Halibut Recipe

This is my favorite halibut recipe given to me by my dear friend Kendra!

The flaky phyllo keeps the halibut moist and delicious...makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Phyllo Wrapped Halibut for 2 (Very romantic)

Time: Prep 15 mins, bake 12-15 mins. Dinner's ready in no time!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons melted butter
4 sheets phyllo dough (thawed in fridge)
2 (5 ounce) halibut fillets
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill or another seasoning you prefer. I often try new ones (lemon pepper, jamaican, etc.) Get fancy!

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Lay 2 pieces of phyllo on counter, lightly fold in half but do not crease.
  3. Brush melted butter on the bottom sheet then fold the top sheet over and butter that one.
  4. Repeat with other side.
  5. Cut sheets in half.
  6. Place a fillet about 1 inch from the top edge of one of the halved sheets of phyllo. Sprinkle with dill or other seasoning.
  7. Fold the top of the phyllo over the fillet. Then fold in the sides of the phyllo and roll up your fillet. It is like a nice Christmas package!
  8. Place on a baking sheet, fold side down and lightly brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining fillet.
  9. Bake in a preheated oven until pastry is puffed and light golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
I usually serve this with steamed broccoli and white rice.
Sometimes we like to have a little tartar sauce on the side. Others I know serve this with a lemon cream sauce but I found the sauce took away from the fishes yumminess.
I have also heard of people stuffing in spinach, onions, peppers, lemon slices, mayonaise, cream cheese, or other items with the fish. I have tried a few myself but always find it is best with just the fish. But get creative, you never know what genius idea you could come up with!
We have tried this recipe with a variety of fish (salmon, cod, sea bass, ling cod, red drum, sheep head etc.) and it always turns out great. Be sure your pieces of fish are no thicker than 1 inch, otherwise the phyllo will burn before the fish is done.
Enjoy!

No comments: