This is the adult version of my childhood favorite! I got this from a friend when I was living in Reno. It is great comfort food for cold Alaskan nights!
- 8 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-3/4 cups hot milk
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1lb macaroni noodles cooked
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 6 tbsp of butter in medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes. You may have to turn up the heat. The flour mixture must foam as it cooks or the sauce will have a raw flour taste.
- Stir in cayenne and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Whisk in hot milk, ½ cup at a time and cook, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in 2 cups of cheese, stirring constantly until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Combine cooked pasta and sauce in large bowl.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese over the bottom of a buttered 8x11 baking dish. Place a third of the pasta in the dish and top with ½ cup of cheese. Then repeat, layering pasta & cheese and ending with cheese. You should get about 3 layers.
- Pour cream over assembled mac & cheese.
- Melt remaining butter (2tbsp) in skillet, add bread crumbs. Stirring to coat.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over mac & cheese.
- Bake until crust is golden, about 30 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.