Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall in love again...Homemade Apple Sauce

As a kid I loved apple sauce, just as my oldest daughter does. We go through a ton of apple sauce in this house, but only because she eats it. She loves it in homemade yogurt, plain, apple sauce cake or pretty any way she can get it!

I forgot how good homemade apple sauce is until I made a batch today! Oh my goodness so delicious and fantastically nutritious! Plus it is SUPER easy. I decided to embark on this journey because I had 4 over ripe apples left from this weeks CSA box. No one was eating them and I didn't want them to go to waste so tada - Apple sauce!

Ingredients:
Apples - cored and diced (I leave the skin on for added nutrients and fiber)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 a Lemon - juiced

Directions:
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, lemon juice and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft.

Allow to cool, then put in food processor or mash with a fork or potato masher. I didn't let them cool because I was impatient so I just took the lid off the pour spout in the food processor.
Ummm Fresh applesaucy goodness...
I then poured it in the cleaned applesauce jar from the store bought applesauce ;)

No comments: